Monday, June 4, 2018

Home for a wedding!

My son, Conner had his wedding on June first. I was able to fly back on May 26th, and spend a few days with my extended family and kids. So grateful I had the opportunity! When I was traveling to Utah, I had a stop in Amsterdam, where I met two other sister missionaries. It was fun to connect with them and get to know them a little bit better. They were both returning home from missions in the Philippines. I took a picture of them and sent it to their moms, who were waiting patiently for them on the other side. I received letters back from both of them, grateful for the picture.


When I arrived, I was met at the airport by all of my kids, and grandchildren. I was completely exhausted, but so happy to be able to connect with all of them. My grandchildren have grown a lot in the last two years! I was also able to meet Taylor, my future daughter in law, in person. She is a sweetheart and we are so excited to welcome her into the family. My other kids traveled from far away places, and I really appreciated the sacrifice they made to be there for me. I'm so blessed to have a wonderful family.

Only missing my son in law, who came later in the week

We went directly from the airport to my brother in law, Kenney's, home. His son, Cameron is leaving in just over a week to serve a mission in Uruguay, and he had his farewell in church on the day I arrived. I didn't make it to church, but went to their home and had lunch with them, and got to spend a little time visiting their family, and my mother and father in law.




The next day was Memorial Day. We were able to go with my kids to the cemetery to visit the grave site of my granddaughter, Allie. She would be close to two years old now. It was a very sweet experience to spend that time together with my son Steve, and Sarah, his wife.

Allie with mom and dad


All my grandchildren at Allie's grave site. 

My siblings got together that afternoon for a dinner, and bridal shower for Conner and Taylor. It was really fun having the majority of my siblings there with their children and grandchildren. It was fun for everyone to meet Taylor, and to just hang out together for the day.

My siblings, missing 3.

Conner and Taylor after the bridal shower

Cousins playing downstairs







I have a missionary who was in need of some medication that we could not get in Uganda. His mom drove all the way from Idaho to bring me the medication he needed. It was so nice meeting Sister Gilbert. We really enjoy working with her son.

Meeting Sister Gilbert

On Tuesday, we were able to attend the temple with my nephew, Cameron, as he prepares to go on his mission. It was a wonderful experience being able to attend the temple with them and with my kids. I appreciate it more now that I am away, and can't go whenever I want to. I loved gathering my children around me and sharing this experience with them. Afterwards we went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner. I really miss good steak here in Uganda. It was nice to enjoy it while I was there!


I went back home with my mother and father in law, and spent the night with them. They moved into a new home while we have been away in Uganda, so it was fun to see the new place. It's a really lovely home in a very nice neighborhood. I remember wondering if it was actually a REALLY nice neighborhood, or if things just look extra nice because I have been away for two years.

The next day all the girls met in downtown Salt Lake at City Creek. I had some shopping I needed to do, and then we all had lunch together. I got to spend some quality time with my grandson, Harvey. He is almost two and very independent. He is happiest when he can just run. I just let him run, and followed him around to make sure he didn't run anywhere that he could get hurt. There was an outdoor staircase on the East side of City Creek Center that goes along side a waterfall. He spent the majority of his time on that staircase, going up and down, up and down, up and down. I can't believe the energy that little man has. It was actually really nice. He would stop on one step and raise both hands above his head and just cheer, like he had just won a race or something. I got such a kick out of him.  The lunch we had was at Kneaders. I think everyone enjoyed it, then my mother in law went back to her home, and I went with my girls back to Lakepoint, where I spent the rest of my time.

On Thursday, the day before the wedding, I went with all the girls to get our nails done. I don't get a lot of time to pamper myself in the  mission field. It was nice just relaxing and primping for a wedding.

We also had dinner together at Casa Del Rey, which is a restaurant in Grantsville where President Collings and myself would go several times a week.


When my missionaries ask me about this trip home, I say that I got down on my hands and knees and just played with my grandchildren for 5 days. I loved every minute of it!

Friday was the BEST day! Conner and Taylor were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple for time and all eternity! We had just a small group of family attend the temple ceremony, which was very special. Conner and Taylor wanted the reception to be small with just close friends and family. I enjoyed it so much because I was able to spend quality time with family members that I had not seen yet. They held it in the back yard, and it was done so well! The decorations were so nice, and it was such a warm atmosphere. Everything was just perfect.


The parking garage was full, but they made an exception for the bride and groom...



There they go!

Mr. & Mrs. Collings


Addie and Avery

Hoskins family

Harvey


Harris family

Collings family

Sisters!

Casi and Erin

Collings brothers


Wright siblings


After the sealing

They got to Face Time dad (President Collings) right after the ceremony

Uncle John's family

Uncle Adam's family (missing Cait)

Uncle Kenney's family, missing 2 kids

It was a windy day, which did AMAZING things to Taylor's veil!

Our family
Taylor's family


The whole group


Sarah and Addie

Collings Sisters

Collings cousins

The day after the wedding, Conner and Taylor were gone, but they just received keys to their new duplex. They had a lot of high hopes of moving in, but it was in desperate need of a paint job. We decided to surprise them and paint their home for them. It was a fun project, and because we had so much help, we were finished by early afternoon.

painting the trim

prepping the walls

removing the outlet covers

taping the walls

First coat done

Painting the corners

Three working in the bathroom.

DONE!

Front view of the house

and DONE

I left back to Uganda the next day. It has been a wonderful trip, but I'm missing Uganda and ready to get back to missionary life. So grateful to have Taylor in the family, and to be able to reconnect with everyone! This is a week I will always cherish!